What is An Elopement?
An elopement is a purposely small & intimate wedding (less than 30 people) that cuts out all the (excuse my language) bullshit and focuses primarily on the two of you! Your wedding day can be anything you want it to, and look however you have dreamt it up to be, but most importantly the focus should primarily be on you!
Reasons to elope.
- Make your wedding day authentic to you! Are you adventurous? how about a mountain top adventure elopement? Do you love the city? Elope on the rooftop of a high rise or parking garage with the cityscape in the backdrop. Are you homebodies? Have a wedding in the comfort of your own home. Love to travel and experience new places? Have a destination elopement in a new crazy place and spend the day exploring the sights! Your day can be anywhere & anything that makes you feel like you.
- Less stressful & less expectations
- You value experiences over things.
- You only need to cater the day to yourselves. No making compromises on what's important to you to make your mom or Aunt Sue happy.
- They are FUN! Your wedding day can be so much more than just exchanging vows. Treat the ENTIRE day as yours and do anything & everything you want to make it memorable!
- Get kick-ass photos from your day! So often in a traditional wedding, we have to make due with the weather we get, the location we have etc, with elopements we have so much more control over making sure you get the most bad ass wedding day images ever!
- Save money overall!
What can an elopement day look like?
It can look however you want it to. Everyone has different priorities, maybe you want to keep a few of the usual traditions, or go completely rogue with an offbeat wedding. Here is an example of what your day could look like:
- wake up next to your partner and enjoy a relaxing morning drinking coffee and a nice breakfast
- Get ready together with your partner, enjoy the process of your wedding day together.
- Spend your day together doing something that is uniquely you, go for a pre-wedding surf, hike a mountain or visit your favorite breweries.
- take portraits with epic views
- exchange your vows at sunset on a mountain top, or on a beautiful beach. ( take a scenic helicopter ride or float plane to get there if you don't want to break a sweat!)
- grab your favorite take out for dinner and share a first dance under the stars.
Where to Elope on Vancouver Island.
Vancouver Island has sooo many incredible locations for your elopement. Here are a few of my top locations to checkout!
- Tofino/Ucluelet area
- 5040 peak or Triple Peak
- Jordan River area
- Mount Washington or Mount Cain
- Little Mountain Lookout (Coombs/Parksville area)
- Neck Point Park(Nanaimo)
- Moorecroft regional Park ( Nanoose Bay)
- Telegraph Cove
- East Sooke Park
Can we bring any guests to our elopement?
Yes! I capture elopements of up to 20 guests!
How much coverage do you recommend for our elopement?
I truly believe an elopement deserves the same amount of coverage as a traditional or larger wedding day. I would recommend at least 3 hours of coverage. More coverage will help make your day feel more like an experience than a glorified photo shoot. Capturing the entire day start-finish helps tell your story.
Why are elopement photo prices similar to traditional wedding photo prices?
The truth is, elopements are just as much if not MORE work on the photographers end of things. We often end up doing the majority of the timeline planning, help with vendors, location scouting & activity planning for the day ontop of documenting it all. Your day also deserves full coverage just like a traditional larger wedding would, you just end up with more badass images doing all the rad things you decide to do with YOUR day.
Will you travel, fly, hike,drive,boat, surf, swim for our elopement?
Heck yes! Nothing and nowhere is out of the question. I am a yes girl so chances are whatever crazy ideas you have for your elopement, I will be down. Reach out with any ideas you might have and I will help make it happen!
Does our elopement have to be adventurous or in a scenic location?
absolutely not! That's the beauty of elopements, you can literally do it anywhere and have your day truly feel authentic to your relationship!
Kea Mowat Photography Elopement Prices
Your intimate wedding deserves the same coverage as a traditional wedding day. That being said I don't offer anything less than 3 hours of coverage! All elopements include planning & timeline assistance, vendor & location recommendations. Packages of 6 hours or more include a complimentary engagement session, any other package receive 20% off an engagement session booking.
Packages start at $1050- please inquire for more info